The data explosion sparked by modern trends such as the Internet of Things (IoT) and artificial intelligence (AI) is having a ripple effect throughout the industry, creating new challenges for data center operators. With escalating kilowatt (kW) requirements in racks generating demand for additional power capacity, IT managers are subsequently being forced to juggle an increasing number of data center power cables to support this influx. Yet because power cords are housed extremely close together within racks, they are vulnerable to bumping, pulling, straining, abrasion and accidental disconnections. As a result, a growing number of operators are migrating to locking power cords to help ensure flawless connectivity, business continuity and uptime.
A virtual hidden gem of efficient data centers, locking power cords provide network agility and well-organized management of IT infrastructure, safeguarding devices that are susceptible to vibration, human error or accidental disconnection. Consider what locking cords can do for your facility:
1. Prevent costly downtime ─ Bolting into place, locking power cords reduce the risk of potentially catastrophic downtime by securing connections between a UPS or PDU and the server/switch. That means no more worrying about a cord coming undone if it is unexpectedly tugged or pulled. As a result, data center managers can fret less over the cost of downtime ── which currently rings in at $9,000 per minute, according to a recent report by the Ponemon Institute.
2. Keep it clean and safe ─ No employee desires the notoriety of being the culprit who tripped over the power cord and took the network down. Eliminate that threat with locking power connectors, which help to create a clean, more efficient data center. In addition to shielding against accidental removal from a connected network device, the twist lock plugs are aesthetically pleasing, thanks to their availability in an array of colors, angles and custom lengths designed to meet the needs of any application and environment.
3. Make it easy to pinpoint power feeds ─ The color options of locking data center power cords allow operators to immediately identify redundant power feeds and preserve continuous uptime. Color coordinate your facility’s PDUs and power cords within the power chain for flawless connectivity and continuity ─ and eliminate the trial-and-error process of trying to figure out where a cord came from or where to plug it back in.
4. Enable faster troubleshooting ─ The fact that today’s high-density data racks are crawling with power cords not only makes effective organization an arduous task, it opens up the door to hindered response times in the event of a power outage. Because locking power cords enable easier identification of power feeds from racks to devices, they can speed the troubleshooting process if an issue arises.
5. Easily integrate into your data center architecture ─ Suitable for use with any standard C13, C14, C15, C19 or C20 cord, Z-Lock power cords are a perfect example of universal compatibility with any IT infrastructure and power supply, regardless of the manufacturer. They seamlessly integrate into new and existing data centers, easily locking and unlocking into place to prevent inadvertent disconnects.
To help facilitate optimal efficiency and uptime within your data center, StayOnline offers an extensive line of power cords including custom, made-to-order products. As a global manufacturer of power cords, our customers benefit from short lead times with same-day shipping options and no minimum order quantity. For more information, visit www.stayonline.com.